Friday, October 14, 2011

The Decompiculture Society

I saw an interesting talk over on TED about an alternative burial method.  Pioneered by Jae Rhim Lee, the technique uses specially bred mushrooms to speed decomposition and sequester all those lovely toxic chemicals we humans contain.  It seems like she's using mushrooms that are traditionally edible, which you'd think would make it a bad choice, but I figure if someone walks around eating random mushrooms they find on the ground they're kind of asking for it.

Her group is called the Decompiculture Society.  Now I don't mean to be morbid, but my plans to be an organ donor don't exactly appear viable any longer, and the Decompiculture Society also seems to have a focus on accepting the inevitability of death.  I think that could be pretty helpful for just about anyone. 

Also they call members "decompinauts," which is kind of cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment