Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Woody Roseland gets it

 "When staring cancer in the face, you learn who you are."  - Woody Roseland
I almost feel arrogant, offering this man my approval as if I were some sort of arbiter when it comes to thoughts on cancer.  He's been through it five times and it cost him a leg.  Still, so much of what he says resonates with me so deeply, by its truth or by coincidence: like me, he went through his first bout with another patient who had the same diagnosis, and was also experiencing it for the first time, at the same time.  Except his friend has lost his battle.  Should I outlive my friend, I wonder if I'll respond to it in the same way.  I wonder if I'll have that guilt and rage that, by the luck of the draw, someone with whom I shared a unique bond is dead while I am not.  I wonder how Will will feel if he outlives me.  The biggest difference is that Woody's friend was only 8 years old.  I consider myself lucky that Will is more my age.  We can communicate on a higher level, as adults.  That, and I can distance myself from the fact that for as young as I may be, there are always younger patients dealt worse hands.  I at least got the chance to grow up.

Woody also produced this video, aptly titled, "S#!% Cancer Patients Say."  Good stuff.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for introducing me to Woody's youtube posts. Humor is really helpful for me and he is great!

    ReplyDelete